Thursday, May 21, 2009

Nestie envy and a quick solution

I've found myself really coveting nesties lately. I love the look of matching layered circles or ovals, and am coming to appreciate some of the other shapes as well.

I do have some pre-cut ovals and circles that I picked up a few years ago at the Paper Cuts booth at a stamp show. Unfortunately, they just don't nest as well as Nesties, and I have have a limited range of colors (mostly white and cream) as I had to buy them in packs of 25.

During VSN, I played around with these shapes and found I could easily create a scalloped border for them. How? Simply trace the oval or circle onto another piece of cardstock, then take a scallop-edge scissors and carefully cutting out the shape. Cut with short strokes, moving the scissors/paper frequently so the bottom edge of the scallop is always hitting your traced line. The result isn't Nesties-perfect, but it really looks pretty darn good

One tip: trace your circle on the "wrong" side of the paper if are using printed paper or two-sided paper, so you don't have to worry about your pencil lines showing.

Here is a card I created for VSN using this method. I have some other decorative edge scissors, maybe I should experiment.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

Stencils and diecuts

  I've had the idea for this card for a while, but I finally got around to making it this week.  I started by stenciling the stone fence...

Popular Posts